Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"My Cross Is Too Heavy To Bear"

Peace,

    I am led to do this study on carrying our cross. May the Holy Spirit guide you in truth. In Jesus name. Amen.

Let's look at Matthew 26: 38, 39 38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Jesus was telling the disciples that were with Him that His soul was filled with much sorrow, even unto death. Jesus then asked the disciples to tarry and watch with Him.

We must do the same. In Psalm 23 it does not say we STAY in the valley of the shadow of death but "we walk through it" not alone, Jesus is with us. 

Jesus says in John 18:11 11 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

Below is a story I read many years ago but it has encouraged me to look at my trials differently. There is always a bigger cross than mine. 

 A young man at the end of his rope groaned in distress as he prayed, “Lord, I can’t go on. My cross is too heavy to bear.” 

“My son,” the Lord replied with compassion, “if you can’t bear its weight, come with me to the cross room. There you may exchange your cross for any other cross you choose.”

Filled with relief, the young man sighed, “Thank you, Lord.” Briskly entering the cross room, he mindlessly discarded his own cross and searched for one he’d rather carry.

He saw many other crosses, some so large the tops weren’t even visible. After winding in and out of the rows of crosses, he spotted a tiny cross leaning against the far wall. “I’d like that one, Lord,” he whispered.

And the Lord replied, “My son, that is the cross you brought in.”



Folks, when we get overwhelmed with our lives and we want to turn in our cross for another. 

It may be best if we do as Jesus said, "tarry here with me, and watch."


In Jesus name with love,
Cassie


No comments: